Categories
Cambridge NZ St Andrews Church

Victoria, Hamilton & Lake Cambridge New Zealand

The intersection of Hamilton Road and Victoria Street Cambridge New Zealand a.k.a. the White Church corner is losing its SH1 designation. The Rotorua sign is apt as the Auckland-Cambridge-Rotorua connection was significant for travellers in the early days of motoring. The icon beside the New Zealand state highway shield represents The Thermal Explorer Highway a navigation assistance for visitors travelling between Auckland and Hawke’s Bay; though somewhat superfluous to the needs of the locals. Cambridge Branch Railway (under a variety of names) also passed through (or beside) the intersection from 1884 and most of the 20th century.   A roundabout to replace the current road layout, one of a number of planned infrastructure projects, will be constructed later in the year.

© Michael Jeans | +64 27 496 3802 | Cambridge New Zealand | michael@michaeljeans.co.nz

Categories
2011

Waikato Expressway Hautapu Cambridge New Zealand

Laurent Road, Cambridge Branchline, Victoria Road, Hautapu NZ
Laurent Road, Cambridge Branchline, Victoria Road, Hautapu NZ

© Michael Jeans | +64 27 496 3802 | galleries | michael@michaeljeans.co.nz

Categories
Cambridge NZ

Hamilton Road SH1 Cambridge New Zealand

Hamilton Road Cambridge New Zealand
Hamilton Road Cambridge New Zealand

Midday on the 1st of June 2013; our autumn has been longer and later than usual. Bryce Street is behind us, the road to Hamilton (SH1) on our left. We are looking toward the SH1B turn off. SH1B begins with Victoria Road to the left, rejoining SH1 at Taupiri. Hamilton Road becomes Victoria Street at the pedestrian crossing on the St Andrew’s Church corner ahead.

© Michael Jeans | +64 27 496 3802 | galleries | michael@michaeljeans.co.nz

Categories
Cambridge NZ St Andrews Church Victoria Street

SH1 at Victoria Street and Hamilton Road Cambridge New Zealand

Autumn Festival lighting at the white church on the corner, St Andrews Anglican Church, SH1, Cambridge New Zealand.

© Michael Jeans | +64 27 496 3802 | Cambridge New Zealand | michael@michaeljeans.co.nz

Categories
Cambridge NZ

Cambridge railway

A railway line lay here between 1884 and 1999. The Cambridge branch line joined the network at Ruakura and terminated at Lake Street beside Lake Te Koutu. Passing through Matangi, Bruntwood and Hautapu it offered passenger services until 1946. The line terminates at Fonterra Hautapu now – a freight only service. The truck to the left travels the last few metres of SH1B which leaves SH1 at Taupiri and links back into SH1 at the St Andrew’s Church corner just over my left shoulder. The coming of the Waikato Expressway, the demise of this railway line – things to ponder as the price of oil rises and today, Tuesday the 1st of July 2008, many celebrate the return to public ownership of ‘KiwiRail‘ after a decade and a half in private ownership.

Add to: Facebook | Twitter